Independent Women

This blog post isn't my normal post. I just got inspired by one of the questions of one of my readers/friends on Facebook.

Moving on, she asked me if I have any plans of writing a story that's more on the fairytale-ish side. At first, I was a little unsure about how to respond to the question since I'm not entirely sure I understood what she meant. I thought to myself, "hindi pa ba fairytale-ish ang mga sinusulat ko?" So I asked her to clarify what she meant.

Me: You mean 'yung super mahirap at hopeless ang girl? Wala pa akong naisusulat na ganoon. Pero 'yung super mayaman si guy ay meron na.

Habang sinasagot ko ang tanong niya ay napapaisip ko. Naalala ko ang napag-usapan namin minsan ng aking kaibigan na si Celine Isabella.

Celine Isabella: Wala ka bang napapansin sa mga heroine mo?
Me: Wala. Bakit? Ano'ng meron sa kanila?
CI: Sila 'yung tipo ng babaeng nakakahiyang lapitan at ligawan. 

And because I was in the mood for reminiscing, I instantly found myself remembering a different conversation I had with two of my best buds. (This is the edited version.)

Me: My boyfriend once told me that he instantly notices whenever I'm texting any of you guys. Nag-iiba daw ang aura ko.
Roney: Really? Paano?
Me: Parang nag-iiba daw ang pagsasalita ko. Parang royalty.
Brat: Royalty! *sabay tawa* I know what you mean. Yeah, I guess you can say we're kind of like that.

And the talk continued. But what my friend really meant was that we placed ourselves in that high category earlier on and even if we don't purposely do it anymore, it just naturally comes out. And I guess I kind of relays it on my heroines.
Credits to Howkapow

At this point, I have not and will continue not to write heroines with a doormat personality. Mainly because I don't know how to. I am not nor am I friends with any female belonging to that category. I refuse to be associated with such kinds. And here's why:

Doormat Personality → as its name suggests, people with this kind of personalty are those who let other people walk all over them

I am not that kind of person. I will never allow myself to be put in that situation. And I am not an advocate of such personality.

I believe in the old adage that says "birds of the same feather, flock together." I am proud to say, my female friends all belong to that royalty level, which I have placed myself in. They are all successful in their chosen fields. They are nurses, pharmacists, lawyers, public servant, accountants, writers, business women, mathematicians, physicists, agriculturist, and so on. Most of them I have known since our elementary days. I've watched their journey and I can say it wasn't all that easy.

So, no, I'm sorry if I refuse to believe that a woman is incapable of standing on her own two feet and needs a man to complete her and turn her into a princess. I am doing it. My female friends are doing it, too. And most of all, my mother and all the women in my family are doing it.

I'm not saying that we don't need men. We do. We just don't need them to make us realize how much potential we have. So yeah, all my heroines are strong and independent women. A guy would have to break a sweat before he could even approach her. That's exactly how I want it to be played out. My heroes would have to work hard to get my heroines. How else would she know that he really deserves her?

♥♥♥

Comments